Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Starting School-- 3K!

Fall is my favorite time of year...I know, most people would assume summer would be my season of choice, but there's nothing about Fall I don't love. The cooler temperatures, leaves changing colors, earth tones all around, Honeycrisp apples, pumpkin farms, apple picking...and school starting.

This Fall was especially special because Cole started school this year at Howard Avenue Montessori. He's in a multi-age classroom for 3, 4, and 5 year olds. Although he's 4 years old, he's still considered a 3Ker because of his September 8th birthday.

It's easier for me to write this post today- 6 weeks into school- because I am no longer dealing with a young boy screaming and fussing every single morning. At this point in the game, Cole is really enjoying going to school each day, but we had a pretty rough start. For a good 2 weeks Cole yelled, no screamed, at drop off every. single. day. When I say screamed I mean on the top of his lungs...gut wrenching. Thankfully Jim was the one that dropped him off each day. I think I would have lost it. The first week he refused to eat at school or use the bathroom. I will admit I was a bit worried. Terrified, actually. Don't let the smiles on Cole's face fool you...He'd start out strong- wake up, get dressed, eat, get in the car, drive to school...then you'd approach the door and all hell would break loose.

No, it was not night time...we had a very stormy morning on the first day! 


By the end of the day the sun was shining and his smile was back!
Playing on the school playground has become his favorite part of the day!
Now that we're well into October, he's adjusting well. He's made several friends and is participating in class and interacting with others. PLUS, he likes going each day! What more could I ask for? We've attended a movie night at his school, met new families at the school picnic, joined a new friend at the Hawthorn Halloween Fest, and helped plant flowers in their new garden. Cole is so proud of his Big Guy School, and although he struggles to remember what he does at school each day, I am able to pick his brain a little bit to hear about what is going on.

Miss Emily, his teacher, met with us a few weeks back for Cole's first Parent Teacher conference. It felt very odd to be sitting on the opposite side of the table. We were able to ask a few burning questions about peer interaction and his nervous habits, and Miss Emily said she was very pleased with his progress so far.

So hard for me to believe my baby boy is 4 years old already! We love you Big Guy!!
My sweet boy!

Cole decided he wanted to sort and count money one day...

No comments: