Thursday, August 1, 2013

No More Excuses...

I've been running for years now, but I have to admit I've never really enjoyed it. It was more of an obligation, a dose of medicine I forced myself to take at least 3 or 4 times/week. Even with classes, timed races, & gym memberships, exercise has never been something I look forward to...until now. 

It's been an emotional summer for a number of reasons- I needed an outlet and something to change my mood around. Wine works well, but it's frowned upon before evening hours. My Monday golf nights have been great too, but I needed more...enter running. 

Two friends of mine invited me to run the Bastille Run earlier last month. I was in the midst of the Couch to 5K program and hadn't really been in my full running swing since last summer, but figured, what the hell? It's a fun run at night...lets do it. 

It happened to be the night before we were scheduled to put Willie down so needless to say I was a little emotional and had a lot of hurt, sadness and frustration to get out of my system. Little did I know that 3.1 miles would feel amazing and jump start my need to move. 

The next morning I deleted my Couch to 5K app and reinstalled the Nike+ running app...no more bull shit, Kate. Interval training is great, but you can run 3 miles. You can run more than 3 miles. You just need to get off your tail and do it. 

Well, I did it and it has been great.  I haven't put any pressure on myself in regards to number of runs, distance, pace, etc...I've just told myself to get moving! Some days I run fast, some days I run slow...either way I'm running. The endorphins have been an emotional and motivational help and the Type A side of me loves the Nike+ app because it tracks my progress and pushes me to do a little more!


No comments: