Sunday, August 26, 2012

Who Is This Child?

Is it normal that sometimes I do not even recognize my own child? I love and adore Cole more than anything on this earth, but sometimes his stubborn behavior is enough to put me over the edge. He can go from being the sweetest little man to a beast in 2 seconds flat. Apparently the terrible two's started just two weeks shy of his 2nd birthday. Well, let me tell you I'm absolutely ready for this stage to be over and done with. It's wearing on this mom's patience and giving her high blood pressure.

Enough already...I'm trying to tell myself that this is a phase and that it is not a reflection on my parenting skills, but at times it's tough. I find myself on the verge of tears wishing he'd trust me when I tell him he's over tired and in need of a nap. Ultimately that is where these tantrums come from- Cole is hungry or tired, but refusing to succumb to the fact that he needs to eat or sleep. I've tried walking away from the crib and let him cry it out. I've tried letting him continue to play and not eat...I've tried it all and when these situations arise I just give up feeling like a failure.

So, all you experts out there...what do you do? I understand you can't rationalize with a 2 year old, but boy oh boy I feel like Cole knows how to play is cards pretty well. Take today for instance, we had an awesome morning. Cole woke up happy as can be. We ate a yummy breakfast and hit the town for a morning of adventures. We ended up at an awesome car show and Cole was in heaven...after tripping over himself several times, we figured it was probably time to take the little guy home. It was already an hour past his structured nap time. Upon getting home, there was no way in hell this little boy was going to nap. He proceeded to scream and throw himself and his toys in his crib for an hour. We did the rocking bit, the singing bit, the reading stories bit. He even fell asleep in my arms for a bit, but when push came to shove he would NOT stay in that crib to sleep. So, after almost an hour and a half...I gave up, brought him downstairs, and let him play. Then Grandma Colleen and Papa called saying they were at the car show...so after a complete tantrum we pick him up and take him back to the car show to look at cars and have dinner there. I'm sure that's not the best parenting thing to do, but disciplining and talking through a situation with a toddler is tough. Moments like that I feel like it's not worth it to lose my cool or yell- it doesn't get us anywhere. So we left and he had fun and he came home, played and then went to bed a little earlier than usual. All good in the end, but totally frustrating in the moment.

I'm not really posting this looking for parenting advice, I really just needed to get the frustration out of my systems so I can hit "publish" and give my child a squeeze and forget the entire situation. Moments like this is why Moms feel like they're failing as a parent.

No comments: