Tuesday, August 16, 2011

C25K

Week 1, Day 1
2.57 miles
10:28 min/mile (I won't remind myself that I was running an 8 minute mile the last time I ran a 5K)

I'm LOOONNNGGG overdue to get my ass off the couch and start running...before Cole was born I ran/worked out 3-5 times/week at the gym. I never really liked working out, but saw it as something I needed to do. Once I finally got pregnant, I was so nauseous the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, running was the last thing on my mind.

After Cole was born I did a lot of walking on my maternity leave. Once I went back to work that got a whole lot harder...not to mention that breastfeeding was a great diet. I lost all of my baby weight and then some. Well, Cole decided to give up breastfeeding at around 8 1/2 months. I pumped for a while, but once I ended that dreadful routine I should have jumped right back in to the workout routine while I was still down weight and summer had just begun.

Now that it's the last week of summer vacation, I feel my clothes getting a little tighter...I miss the way they hung on me while I breastfed. Instead of dwelling on the fact that I may be putting on a little weight (I don't know because I don't own a scale, refuse to buy a scale, and don't want to weigh myself) I decided today was the day to get off my ass and start running again. I've always judged my weight by the way my clothes fit me...if they're a little snug, step it up and do something. I enjoy food too much to ever "diet" so once again Kate and exercise meet again.

So I bought the app and now it's official! Today was day 1 of the C25K program...I didn't think I'd need an app or a program, but I really like it. I can use my own music, it tracks my time, distance, calories burned (I'm sure it's not accurate), maps my run, even tells me when to start walking and running. It tells me when I'm half way done and when I'm on my last run interval. It's good for me. It's realistic for me since it's 3 days/week. I'd love to say I'll exercise EVERY day, but I know that won't happen. We're still out walking the dogs everyday, so that's something :) What I'd like to do on my off days is a little toning routine.

After each workout, the app will post my progress on FB...I'm hoping this will hold me accountable. Not that anyone really gives a shit if I'm running or how I'm doing, but still. I've always loved running 5K races and have considered a triathlon, although I'm not much of a swimmer. Who knows maybe I'll do a half marathon instead. Regardless, I need to do this for my physical health and my mental health. Cole was a great jogging partner today in our B.O.B. stroller...he didn't squawk once, just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

No comments: