Wednesday, March 2, 2011

teetering on complete exhaustion

As I mentioned in a previous post, Cole's sleeping habits have taken a turn for the worse...it's not every night, but realistically since Christmas Cole has gone from sleeping through the night to waking at least twice during the night. It all started when he decided to hated taking a bottle. Jim, and eventually Heather, struggled to get him to take it. In the meantime he figured out he could make up these calories by eating in the middle of the night. Smart little man.

Now that we've moved on to the sippy cup and solids, you'd think he'd have his fill of food, but the stinker is still getting up. It doesn't help that he's had a cold and is a bit stuffed up. I'm at a loss for what to do in this situation.

Yes, I know the scenarios, I just don't know which one I agree with. I could Ferberize him and make him cry it out, but it doesn't seem my style. I could buy a co-sleeper and share the room with him again, but yet...that doesn't seem my style either. I don't know how long I should let him cry before going in to "save" him...

I just don't know how to handle it. I've been going in, replacing his nuk, comforting him and then leaving the room. Sometimes it works and he goes right back to sleep. Sometimes he needs to be picked up, comforted, and then he goes right back to sleep. And other times, I need to nurse him. If it hasn't been 4-5 hours, I try not to nurse him, but they tell me that "sleeping through the night" means 5 hours. That's not sleeping through the night in this house, but according to the experts that is what is meant.

Arrrggh...either way, this mama is exhausted! It's funny how in 5 1/2 short months my life has completely changed. Yes, yes, yes for the better, but it shocks me that most nights I am IN BED by 9pm. 9pm!! There were days B.C. (before Cole) when I was going to Target at 9pm...quickly, before they closed.

No comments: