Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Buried Beneath Mountains of Snow!

NOT SURE WHY THIS NEVER POSTED...BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, I GUESS. I'LL ADD THE PICTURES ONE DAY...

Living in Wisconsin my entire life I've experienced a fair share of snow storms. I always squack at the media coverage when the weathermen are calling for a big storm...we should be used to this and it shouldn't be our number one news of the day.

Well...I stand corrected. Rumors were flying about a storm of the century last week Monday. They were calling for two feet of snow. That's a lot of snow even for Wisconsinites. Because our meteorologists are often wrong, we figured we'd believe it when we saw it on the ground. Tuesday approached and the flakes started flying. Nothing major, just an inch or two. The superintendents of the surrounding school districts wondered if they should call school for Wednesday.

By 2pm on Tuesday, the word was out...school would be canceled for Wednesday. In my 11 years of teaching, this has only happened three times. Jim and I were thrilled that we'd be spending our Wednesday snuggled in at home. Little did we know what we'd wake up to find on Wednesday morning.

Snow, snow, and snow! More snow than either of us could remember. We were buried under 18" of the white stuff. Cole and I snuggled in our jammies all day while we watched Jim dig us out. Willie and Lexa were not crazy about the mounds in the backyard. Lexa got stuck in a 5 foot drift and Jim literally had to lift her out of it.

By Thursday, Milwaukee was still digging themselves out. Most eastern districts had off of school again- MPS and Cudahy, but I was back to school.

No comments: