Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Stockings Were Hung...

"The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there..."

I know Cole is only 3 months old, but I'm already looking forward to the holidays with him. Of course he'll have no idea what is going on, and he needs absolutely NOTHING, it's still fun to experience all of the "firsts" with him. Tonight is his first St. Nick night.

Holiday traditions are one of the best parts of having kids. I remember celebrating St. Nick night when I was young. I almost liked it more than Christmas morning...okay, not really, but it was still a great tradition. We always hung our stockings on the mantle in the family room and the next morning they'd be brimming with goodies. There was ALWAYS a piece of fruit (usually an orange) in the toe of the stocking and then St. Nick would jam pack it with candies, toys, and lip smackers. I also remember the book of Life Savers. Those were one of my favorites too. The only bad part about St. Nick is that he often came on a school night which meant we'd have to cut it short to get ready for school.

Okay, so we don't have a chimney, but we do have our stockings hung on the banister. This is definitely a tradition that I'll be continuing with Cole. Since some of us have to work in the morning, St. Nick has already stuffed the stockings with goodies so that he can get a decent night's rest. I woke up this morning to yummy pretzel M&Ms stuffed in my stocking...it was an absolute treat for me since my stocking is usually empty each year (thanks St. Nick...Jim). Cole snuggled into his Santa Skeleton PJ's (pictures to come another day), and after reading our stories for the night I told him all about the St. Nick tradition. I explained how some people put their shoes out, but that our family hangs stockings. Obviously he's too little to understand, but in my opinion he's not too young to start the tradition. Afterall, St. Nick has been visiting Willie and Lexa for years and they're dogs.

I wish I was going to be home with him tomorrow so I could be there when him, Dad, and the dogs discover their stuffed stockings. I can always snap a few pictures after work. Lexa was already sniffing around by her stocking- hopefully she doesn't knock it down and destroy it before morning.



After viewing the pictures on this post I realized Jim's stocking is turned the other way...you have NO IDEA how much that bothers me. I promised myself I will not retake the photos, but you better believe it'll be turned the right way before I call it a night. Yah, I know...slightly obsessive/compulsive.

No comments: