Saturday, December 11, 2010

My 3 Month Old Baby...

December 8, 2010

I remember when Cole was about three weeks old...Jim was at work and I was all alone with a screaming baby. Cole had finally "woken" up and his feisty personality was coming out. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes out of fear, uncertainty, and exhaustion. At that moment I looked down at Cole and begged him to stop crying. I had gone through everything that could have possibly been wrong and the little guy just wouldn't let up. In those minutes I remember wishing Cole was older...not because I wanted to wish those days away, but because I knew if he was older I would have more experience and feel more comfortable with him, his needs, everything. We survived that day, week, and the months to come, and as a three month old Mommy I'm by no means an expert, but I definitely have a lot more confidence in my skills than I did in the first two-three weeks. I'm pretty proud of myself, if I do say so myself :) If you know me, you know that I consider myself the baby...it was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that I'd be having a baby. Well, hours after Cole was born I knew that I'd be okay, that I'd love being a mom, and that I'd be good at it.

From the date on this post, you can tell my days are filled with more than outfit changes and picture taking...I'm back at work and that means that the great balancing act has begun. I've come to terms with the fact that IT DOESN'T MATTER if I'm posting Cole's 3 month post several days late...WHO CARES? Right? A part of me cares...I won't lie to you. I wanted the post to be dated on his 3 month mark, but it didn't happen. That's why I typed the date at the beginning...to satisfy my own anal retentiveness. So it took me a few days to dig out the stickers and a clean onesie and snap a few pictures of the little guy....not a big deal Kate. Go easy on yourself.

At three months Cole definitely has some serious personality. He loves the morning and is all smiles throughout the day...when the sun goes down, things change. He's definitely a spicy fry after dark. He's fussiest from about 6-8pm everyday and then springs back to his joyous self right before bedtime. We're not exactly sure why...it could be his lack of a decent afternoon nap or the fact that he's not pooping regularly, who knows. We deal with it and love him just the same. Cole continues to struggle with taking a BM...I know it's completely normal, but we all suffer because of it. He's going about every 4-5 days and that is no fun. I never thought I'd be wishing for more poopy diapers.

In the last few weeks Cole has been rolling over from his belly to his back- to the right and to the left. It is mainly out of frustration and anger, but we'll take it. He's done it with a smile on his face as well...check out the link above to see a video of him doing it. He's also grasping at toys and LOVES to hold your hand, not really your hand, just your finger. He'll grab hold and squeeze. He often holds my hand while he's nursing. It's one of my favorite things. For some odd reason Cole loves his changing table. He always has...when all else- fails Jim and I can take him up there to lay down and a smile will spread across his adorable little face. Thank you Amanda and the Angel family for sharing this gem with Cole. It has saved us on more than one occassion.

Speaking of smiles, Cole has been enjoying a little rough-housing from Pop. I have a feeling they'll be wrestling on the floor before I know it. He loves when we pretend to bite his belly or blow raspberries on him. He's becoming tickleish and you can usually get a giggle out of him if you bite at his tummy and make loud noises. We sing together, read together, and spend our time talking and getting to know each other. He continues to be VERY vocal, putting together a few consonant sounds with the ahhs and oohhs. We've heard a baaaa and a maaaa. At three months Cole's fitting into 3-6 month clothing and we've had to pack away a lot of cute outfits. Now that he's home with Dad, Dad's not as willing to try on multiple outfits, taking pictures of each one like this fanatic. We survived our first Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas is right around the corner. Grandma Jeanne and I took Cole to get his picture taken with Santa. He was a little startled by the big guy, but he didn't cry and he loved rubbing his hands in his fuzzy outfit. I can't wait to show him that picture when he's 18.

It's fun watching Cole try to mimic my mouth movements and respond with a big grin when we smile at him. He's acknowledged Willie and Lexa and loves watching them walk around the family room. He's trying to grab his toes and I have a feeling he'll be grabbing them and putting them in his mouth within a few weeks. We continue to go to physical therapy for his torticollus and he's making decent progress. Of course, I don't think he's doing as well as he could be, but the therapist is pleased and we only have to go once/month now. We've been spending a lot of time on the tummy and he's become a drooling monster whenever he's on his stomach. We're starting to hang out in the Bumbo chair a little bit so we can work on sitting up. Cole's been sleeping in his crib, without issue, since the weekend before Thanksgiving. He averages about 7 hours a night, and has slept 9 hours straight. I'm very fortunate to have a baby that basically sleeps through the night. Periodically he'll get up to be fed at 4 or 5am, but he's legitimately hungry and always goes right back down to sleep. I can hardly complain.

It's been really fun watching Cole change and grow. I can hardly remember those first few weeks at home when he was so incredibly tiny and I didn't know what to do with him. He's still my small fry, and although we still face challenging moments, it gets easier everyday. I love you Cole, more than you'll ever know. You've brought so much joy to my life in your first three months. You've helped me become a more patient, loving person just being you...I look forward to all that you have to teach me.

No comments: