Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm One Month Old...

Happy Month One Cole!!! We love you!



I can hardly believe that Cole is one month old...the days and weeks are going by so quickly. Don't get me wrong, there are some days that seem to last an eternity, but most fly by. Before I know it my maternity leave will be over and I'll be heading back to work everyday. I don't even want to think about that right now. For today, tomorrow, and the day after that, I just need to enjoy my time with Cole and try to catch all of the changes that are happening before my eyes.

Although my small fry is still a little guy, weighing in at 8lbs. 9 oz, it's remarkable how much he's changed since we brought him home 4+ weeks ago. He's alert, listening to our voices, tracking objects we place in front of him. He absolutely loves music and thanks to his grandma's, he loves being held too :) Cole's been sleeping pretty well at night. He typically feeds around 9:30ish and then he'll sleep until 12:30, sometimes 1am. We've been keeping him downstairs with Jim in the basement so I can go upstairs and catch a few hours of sleep, but recently I've been staying up later. My body is getting used to functioning on less sleep. He typically eats again at 1am and then he's down until 4ish, then up again around 6:30-7am for another feeding. Most nights it is not so bad. I'm hoping tonight to lay him down in his bassinette at 9:30pm instead of downstairs, that way we won't wake him to bring him up around 12:30 or 1am. Who knows maybe he'll sleep even longer.

Cole continues to breastfeed, most days are doable, but somedays I'm ready to give it up for a bottle. I'm figuring out when he's actually hungry and not feeding him before then. He is a very gassy kid- I guess I'm not surprised, so we end up having to burp every few minutes through feedings. I don't know what's worse- fitful feedings or falling asleep while feeding. Like most new moms, I continue to worry if he's getting enough milk each time and if his poop is the right color.

Each day is a new adventure in the Sommerville household. Mom is busy trying to figure out what Cole wants and needs, Cole is busy figuring out the world around him, Jim is busy at work each day, but comes home at night excited to see his lil' man, Willie and Lexa are busy barking and coming to terms with the fact that although they are still loved dearly, they just aren't going to get quite as much attention each day.

I know the pictures are a little repetitive, but I couldn't pick between them so I figured I'd post them all. What the hell is the difference? Amanda's friend Stephanie had these adorable stickers that you can put on onesies and photograph each month to watch them grow. I absolutely had to have them so I found them online and ordered them. Watch your mailboxes in the next week or so...our friend Brad finished taking his newborn pictures and I'm hoping to get those and order his birth announcements this weekend. I'm anxious to get them out, not that everyone hasn't seen hundreds of pictures of him already.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow this month has gone quickly! What a sweet boy! I can't wait to see him again soon and snuggle, snuggle!

Stefanie said...

I'm so glad you found the stickers! I didn't do anything like that with lil Max, (although he had plenty more photos taken of him), and I really like doing it with Sam!

I can't believe he's one month already!! I need to come out and visit him soon! Glad to hear you are doing well, and getting the hang of things! Before you know it, you will have forgotten everything you were worried about before...trust me! :)