Saturday, October 23, 2010

Forever Loving Dogs...

I've known so many people that have given their dogs away after having kids...now that Cole is 6+ weeks old I can honestly say that I could NEVER, EVER imagine doing that. I guess if one of the dogs attacked or was violent with Cole I would consider it, but I could never just give them away because they're too much work or too needy.

Although I do not have as much time for Willie and Lexa, I still adore them both and love them with all of my heart. It's a different kind of love than the love I have for Cole, but it's still as important. Jim and I thought for sure that Lexa would lick the death out of the baby, but she doesn't. She comes close to check him out and sniffs him a bit, periodically sneaking in a tasty lick, but nothing extreme. Willie is Cole's protector. He's never over the top with it, but whenever he cries or coos, Willie is close by to see what's up and make sure he's okay. They've been so good with him...I can't wait for Cole to get a little bigger so he realizes what these beasts are. He definitely notices them and loves to rub his hands on Willie's fur, but he really doesn't have any idea what the hell they are.

Don't get me wrong, the dogs are jonesing for some attention...they follow me around all day wondering when we get to go for a walk and wishing I'd spend all hours petting them, but they understand that my attention right now is on Cole and that they'll have to wait. As soon as Cole is down for a nap or for the night, Willie is quick to jump up in the chair and get some one-on-one time. He's also extremely appreciative that Cole sleeps in the basinette so he can still have full on snuggle time at night. Lexa isn't quite as needy as Big Willie, but she definitely has her moments...she's known for throwing a nasty, wet toy in your face or bring you a rope or bone to throw across the room. She's not as interested in the snuggling- except when she gets chilly at night :)




No comments: